View Single Post
Old
07-30-2012, 06:02 PM
OrrNumber4

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Our defense was a top ten defense even with a really poor PK. It's not just defense that is an issue with that aspect. It's the coaching AND it's the goaltending as well. I didn't mind making the switch in net due to salary but I know that Niemi is just as prone to giving up a softy as Nabby was. Niemi is no better as an individual goalie and, in reality, he'd be damn near unanimously worse if he didn't ride the back of a very talented Chicago squad to a Stanley Cup. That Cup is the only reason why anyone gives him the least bit of slack at this point.
I think the appeal with Niemi is more than that. In all 8? playoff series he has played in, he's "given his team a chance to win" in all of them. The only exception might be the series against LA, where he at least was able to be pulled (Nabokov wouldn't have allowed it), and where he eventually rebounded. He's also stolen a couple of games and had the odd series where he's been a major factor.

It is a relatively small sample size, but that is always how it is going to be.

Nabokov, on the other hand, has/had a mix. Early in his career, he was more like Niemi. But when you factor in the years when he was older and had a heavier workload, it looks like the opposite end of the spectrum. He was costing the team games and series, and wasn't "stealing" very much.

Skill-wise, I think Nabokov hurt the team by his need to see more action to "get comfortable" as well as his (and the two are not unrelated) insistence that players abdicate shooting lanes.

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote