View Single Post
Old
07-30-2012, 07:22 PM
Tampa Bay Trio
Just Jo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HedMonster 77 View Post
Do you guys think we will have some interest in Alex Edler, at the deadline or next the offseason? He is an UFA in 2013, and Bieksa, Hamhuis and now Garrison are signed long term for Vancouver. That pushes Alex to the №4 spot, and I don't think he is gonna like that. Edler knows he is getting a guaranteed 5+ mil. if he gets to free agency, Vancouver won't pay him more than they pay Bieksa and their other 2 top guys - less money and a №4 spot, no deal from that Swede i think.
Now he is not great Defensively - he has his occasional moments when he just can keep the puck away from the net, but he is good Offensively and can pass that puck around on the PP. Overall he is Good passer and decent defender
Salo and Ohlund should be able to convince him to sign here to a Carle type contract.
What do you think? Will we Have interest in him? Will he have interest in us?
I don't think Edler has been pushed to a no.4 spot by any means. The 2012 playoffs aside, he's still considered the Canucks' best all-around defensemen. How did you come up with him not being great defensively? He was great for them in the 2011/12 regular season and has always been consistent in past years as well. He often lines up against the other teams' top lines too. His offensive game also broke out last year. As Alaskan just said above, he's better than any of our defensemen...

If anything, he'd command more than Carle money. He's not as one dimensional, has more of a physical aspect to his game and has a booming shot. They're probably equal as passers, with Carle only having the edge on mobility/speed.

Tampa Bay Trio is offline   Reply With Quote