View Single Post
Old
07-30-2012, 09:12 PM
overlords
Hfboards

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roke View Post
When looking at goals and assists (and God help you, +/-... for that to be useful you need to back out empty-net goals, goals for while on the penalty kill, and goals against while on the powerplay) you have to put those numbers into context. Del Zotto played 2nd-pairing type opposition with more offensive zone-starts than defensive zone-starts while Subban played top-pairing opposition starting more shifts in the defensive zone than the offensive zone.

Taking a look at the possession/shot metrics despite Subban being played in tougher situations overall he was better in the metrics even before adjusting for the difference in the quality of the team. There's no way Del Zotto had a better season than Subban. 3 goals/2 points does not make up for the difference in the difficulty of minutes or the superior possession Subban put up.

An Oilers blog I read said this about Subban:

He's already the most valuable and most important Hab and has been since he took over the #1D minutes (and thrived in them) back in 2011.
Great post, and thanks for the link. A few good comments in there as well, I see. I really should visit this site more often.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote