View Single Post
Old
07-30-2012, 11:02 PM
sketch22

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicSlap View Post
What a dumb statistical set to pull from. Of course a guy playing against tough competition and starting over 70% of the time in the defensive zone is going to give up more goals than a teammate who starts in the offensive zone more. You want to talk about GA/60, well Dave Bolland, the guy you say can't be moved off the 3rd line has a worse GA/60, the worst on the team. I'm not saying Bolland is worse than Boyle, not at all, I'm just pointing out how DUMB stats like that are.
He didn't play against tough competition. That is the point I am making. Bolland played against the hardest competition on the Hawks by far. Boyle played against the fourth hardest competition on the Rangers. That means that Boyle wasn't out there against the top lines. He was playing against 3rd and 4th liners more often than the other guys.

And stats like this aren't dumb they just need to be read correctly. Bolland played against the hardest competition on the team and the avg SV% behind him was .898. Boyle played against 3rd and 4th liners and had an avg SV% behind him of .918. So yes Bolland GA is worse, because he played against better players and had worse goal tending.

Quote:
The stats I'm talking about actually mean something: hits, faceoff percent, PK TOI, etc. Those mean something. CORSI and all these "advanced" stats are just a lot of garbage in the sport of hockey.
PK TOI doesn't mean a damn thing. John Scott had more time on the PK then Monty did for the Hawks last year. Does that mean Scott is a better pker?

This was the first year Boyle went above 50% at the dot in the regular season. Every other year he has been below that (including the playoffs this year).

Hits don't mean a thing either. Brouwer hit people constantly, but that didn't make him a good 3rd liner.

Quote:
Boyle's numbers aren't all that different than Kruger's?

Kruger- 26 points, 26 hits, 36 blocks, 45.9% FO%, 15% of teams FOs, 44% offensive zone starts
Boyle- 26 points, 236 hits, 83 blocks, 51.8% FO%, 25% of teams FOs, 29% offensive zone starts
A rookie who makes half as much scored as many points as the guy you want to trade for, but Boyle wouldn't be overpaid on the Hawks? And I meant that Kruger's Corsi stats were very similar to Boyle yet people ***** about him being a bad player constantly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Olsen is definitely not a deal breaker for me in this deal. Even if you think he is, they just lost their 1st in the Nash trade. Try to sell them on that.
A 1st round pick for a 4th liner. Wonders never cease.

sketch22 is online now   Reply With Quote