View Single Post
Old
07-31-2012, 12:04 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
Phillips is solid, yeah, but when the hell are we going to have room for him in the top six? Koivu and Granlund will be our centers for a long time yet, Coyle will likely be making the jump before Phillips does, Parise will be here forever, and Seto will likely be here a while if he picks his game up a bit and Heatley too, not to mention the possibility of re-signing Butch if he stays healthy (unlikely but still a possibility). If I'm gonna trade for a big name player within the next year or two, Phillips is the first prospect I'd move because he has darn good value and he likely won't see much, if any, time with the Wild.

I only see two ways that we find room for Phillips (assuming he even develops into a top six player). . . . .

1. We move him to wing and get rid of one of Heatley or Seto and don't sign anyone

or

2. We move Granlund to wing and have Phillips center the 2nd line. Again though, that means one of Heater or Seto will need to be moved/released.
I have absolutely no faith whatsoever in Coyle (I see him as a high end third liner) and Seto/Heater/Butch aren't going to be here forever anyway. The point is, we don't need to make room for him in the top 6. If he turns out (which would likely not be for another 2+ years yet anyway), he pushes someone else out of a spot and we'll deal with the extra guy then. Whether that's as running 3 scoring lines (Bulmer-Larsson-Coyle sounds like a nice future 3rd line now doesn't it?) or through trade/non-signing/whatever else is irrelevant.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote