View Single Post
Old
07-31-2012, 01:06 AM
Paladin2799

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese Leaf View Post
But did we not just trade for a young, dominant controllable closer this off-season? And with the emergence of Janssen, do we not have a dominant setup man/closer 1-2 punch going forward? This move is for essentially a middle reliever for the long term. Is that the best return for Snider? Not if you ask me. The guy could become a superstar hitting behind McCutchen with the Pirates, and we end up with at best, a very good middle reliever. Terrible move.
1) I think that with the arms coming up in our system we needed to acquire a great arm to work in the bullpen. Something our system doesnt really have. From what people from the pirates tell us, this man is MONEY for one run through the bench at least. He has the lowest ERA in the majors as a reliever. Absolutely DOMINANT middle reliever if he keeps staying at this level. Those dont come around all too often.

2) I also think that he has the potential to be given a starter role over the offseason to run with and see how he does, he was drafted as a starter and has at least some quality stuff. Could turn out to be a morrow like steal.

3) I happen to think that he will be packaged for a rasmus like player for left field, someone like upton. That is my personal belief. Either that or frasor and oliver are gone for prospects.

Snider wasnt performing, was given many many chances, and frankly I love the fact that we got a great pitcher for our bullpen that is young and controllable. IMHO its about the best we could have hoped for.