Thread: Olympics: Gymnastics
View Single Post
Old
07-31-2012, 03:02 AM
danaluvsthekings

vCash: 500
To me, what makes it look even worse is the way the appeal process goes. They showed the Japan coach walk up to the judge with a handful of money. I believe NBC said that to appeal, you have to give the judges money and depending on which way they rule, they either keep your money or you get it back. Talk about looking shady. It seriously had the appearance of a bribe, especially when they overturned the score.

I still think that was some shady scoring giving him credit for that handstand. I know they've said in other events you need to hold a position for a certain length to get credit (like on the rings) or on the high bar or uneven bars for women they talk about needing to hit totally vertical to get full credit for handstands. So for the pommel horse I would guess it needs to be something similar and I'm not sure I'd say he hit totally vertical or if he did held the position for any real length of time.

As for Jordan Wieber, it is a stupid rule, especially with the change in scoring from other Olympics. I can understand it not looking great for the sport if one country is dominant and wins all the medals. To me, it looks worse when someone that finished over 6 points behind the top 4-5 qualifiers is in the competition due to a rule(because the US isn't the only country of course to have their 3rd best all around gymnast booted out of the final because of the rule). Russia, China, Great Britain also had 3 place in the top 24. So now you're looking at the 25-28th best qualifiers in the competition. The point of the Olympics is to find out who is the best in the world. This rule prevents that from happening.

It would seriously be like if all 5 teams in one division made the NHL playoffs and then the league saying, oh sorry, only 3 teams from one division can make them, wouldn't want the playoffs overrun by one division.

danaluvsthekings is offline   Reply With Quote