Thread: Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect #8
View Single Post
Old
07-31-2012, 04:33 AM
Jxmarts

vCash: 500
St. Croix. Add Andersson with Noreau next.

St. Croix - He played junior as a 16 year old on one of the worst teams in the WHL, and he actually led the team in scoring with 46 points with a -21 rating. I think his reputation as a 1 dimensional player started then, at an age when most players are still playing midget hockey, and it has stuck with him. But both he & his team improved dramatically the following season when he improved to a +28. Then last year at 18, he was the leading scorer by a wide margin on one of the best teams in the WHL with a +40 rating to boot. I have not seen him play but for a few highlights, but I don't know what more he can do statistically to temper his critics.

Bourque - A diminuative player like Bourque must demonstrate exceptional skills at his level to remain a prospect. Bourque was never quite exceptional in junior, perhaps because of his concussions, and his production in the AHL made it clear that he does not have those requisite skills. Bourque scored 14 points in 69 games as a 20/21 year old for the Whale. By comparison his brother Chris, who now at 26 has been no more than a career minor leaguer, scored 36 points in 52 games as a 19/20 year old, and then 58 points a year later - Ryan's age last year. Yes, a young player can always improve, but those numbers don't bode well at all for a player of Bourque's size.

McColgan - I love his competitiveness, but unlike St. Croix, he hasn't shown
any improvement at all on the junior level. I always say that the key in evaluating prospects, is not in looking at static numbers, but seeing consistent improvement. Also unlike St. Croix, McColgan started out with a strong reputation 3 years ago, and it seems that reputation is holding strong. I think it should have lost some of its luster, however. Like Bourque, McColgan is extremely small, and he'll need to be exceptionally productive to remain a good prospect.

Noreau - If John Erskine is still playing in the NHL at 424 games and counting, then Sam Noreau should have a chance. I like the fact that he seems to be concentrating on his game as a defenseman instead of just fighting.

Jxmarts is offline   Reply With Quote