View Single Post
Old
07-31-2012, 08:41 AM
Elvs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne138 View Post
Ryan plays his best with lesser players. I still think one of the best stretches of Ryan's career was the Ryan-Koivu-Sexton line. Obviously Sexton blows, but that line was great, because Ryan put K/S on his back and made that line good. Similar to how Ryan made Parros and Carter score in a the ~10 games he played with them in his rookie season.

IMO Ryan is a player who makes those around him better, but struggles when hes not the man facilitating the offense. Thats why he clicked with Koivu and Sexton, and made Sexton look like he could possibly hack it. And made Koivu look like a good 2C. Which is why it probably makes the most sense to use 3 scoring lines with Ryan on his own line, versus 2 and a shutdown unit, although I prefer that style of play. Id like Ryan-Holland-Selanne to work, but I dont know if thatd bring out the best in Teemu or Bobby, because we could have a shutdown line of DSP-Koivu-Winnik. But if Ryan-Bonino-DSP/KP allows Ryan to thrive then we should try it.
Koivu was much better offensively in his first year with the Ducks than he is currently. Ryan didn't make him look like a 2nd line center, he was a pretty good 2nd line center back then nonetheless. If Bonino or Holland can be the player Koivu was in 09/10 we're in luck.

I'm not against spreading scoring out, but having Ryan with a couple of 20-30 point players over a full year is waste (unless Holland/Bonino/Palmieri takes another step). Also, we finally have the material to put up a decent shutdown line with Winnik, Koivu, and DSP. I hope to see that combination next season.