View Single Post
Old
12-02-2003, 10:39 PM
ukyo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs
well, you're right to an extent. tarnstrom is a pretty good offensive Dman for the PP. but he's also a pretty big liability in his own zone. we had a guy like that, and his name was bryan berard. the differences were - offensively, he skated much better and played a lunatic style, if you will. defensively, he made tarnstrom look like a norris trophy winner (not that bad, but you get my point). i feel like the b's need a guy who can rush the puck and run the PP, but he also must be capable in his own end. if we wanted a gambling puck rusher that needed a compass to find his own end, OC would've just signed berard.
i think sergei gonchar is that guy, but i don't see the bruins stepping up with the best offer out there. also, i'd be willing to bet that jacobs isn't knocking people over to add 5 million to the payroll.
Point taken about what the Bruins would rather have. But I think every team in the NHL could use a Gonchar.

Sure, he's not an elite defenseman that you're going to stick on the ice in all situations. I think he's no more horrific in his own end than your average offensive defenseman (think better than Sandis or Poti, not as good as Timonen, about how Boyle is). The fact that the kids don't backcheck certainly doesn't help his +/-.

Tarnstrom isn't a jump-deep-into-the-play kind of defenseman. His strengths are that he has a knack for getting the puck on net when he needs to (i.e., on the power play through traffic with a screen in front) and his outlet passing. The Bruins, with their more gritty crashing style, would likely benefit far more than the Pens in using his abilities.