View Single Post
Old
07-31-2012, 12:16 PM
ShootIt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag925 View Post
Robak has improved every single season, from major junior, all the way through his cup of coffee in he NHL.

Petrovic, on the other hand, regressed between his last two seasons in major junior.

PIMs also indicate that Robak is the far more disciplined of the two.

Robak is the keeper of the two.

Plus, when you add youngsters like Robak, Matheson, Ellerby, Kulikov, and Gudbranson to Weaver, Campbell, Kuba and Jovanovski, Florida has enough blueline depth for a long time to cover up for the hypothetical loss of Petrovic.

As for Goc, he does thrive with greater responsibility, as was given to him in Florida, meaning his value is probably greater as a Panthers than as a member of just about any other club that doesn't give him Top-6 minutes, but is he replaceable? Absolutely.

Panther fans should be OK with a Goc+Petrovic+Theodore for Luongo deal.

Frankly anything that doesn't include...

...should make Panthers fans happy.

Rejecting anything else is greedy.

And, as I noted previously in this thread, Markstrom won't be a 55-plus-games-started-per-year No. 1 for at least 3 years, so bringing in Luongo to cover at least that amount of time (no guarantee Markstrom is ready by then) wouldn't be the worst idea.

Here's 2013's UFA goalie group...

Smith
Nabokov (38 y/o)
Lehtonen (will be re-signed)
Howard (will be re-signed)
Thomas (39 y/o; if he takes the year off, who knows what you'll be getting)
Backstrom
So why did Tallon gush about Petrovic at the end of the season talking about the future?
Of course Petrovic would have more PIM, he is far more physical than Robak.
Robak is really soft in front of the net, and even though he has the size, he doesn't use it compared to Petrovic. Regress? First I've of that
Mattheson and Robak are PMD, who lack size/physical play. Petrovic is one of our few defensive prospects that has that nastiness. Other than Gudbranson and Jovo(eh), our D-corps lack that.
Why should I be happy giving up 1 key forward, at center no less, and one of our top prospects for a 33 year old goalie?
Could Goc be replaceable? yea, he could, but, by who?
Matthias, not ready, Smithson lol, Wellman? might be AHL fodder. Not to mention no other center on the team is responsible defensively as he is. Plus, FA is drying up, so not like there is a center out there that could be a good replacement for Goc. Arnott lol.

I have be greedy and see how our prospects pan out than take on a 10 year contract for a 33 year old goaltender.
Last I checked, this team is not ready for a serious run, and Luongo makes 6.7million in salary, which would handcuff us even more. Hooray, I should be excited
Without Goc, we lose our second line center, sad, and him and Bergenheim had very good chemistry throughout the season. Not to mention he is a good PKer that has ok hands.