Thread: Olympics: Gymnastics
View Single Post
Old
07-31-2012, 12:18 PM
danaluvsthekings

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
Incidentally, it's not at all unusual for a country to be limited in the number of athletes it can enter in an event...most sports don't involve a line up of the best athletes in the world, but of the best (fixed number of) athletes from various countries. The difference with gymnastics is that the cut is actually made at the Olympics. They could always tell the national federations to hold the competition at the national level to decide what two athletes will be entered then - but I don't know if that's much better.
I can understand a rule limit like that when you're only letting 8 athletes compete in the final like with track or swimming or even event finals in gymnastics. Having a country claim 3 or 4 out of 8 spots would be a bit ridiculous and the cry that other countries aren't getting a chance to represent themselves would be a more valid point. By stretching the field to 24 competitors (and past the top 24 because China, Russia, and Britain as well as the US each had 3 in the top 24), you are going to be including some athletes that probably don't even have the required difficulty in their routines where if they were perfect, their scores could beat routines by the top gymnasts like Komova, Mustafina, Douglas, Raissman, or Wieber with those ladies making mistakes. And that to me, is what makes it a farce.

danaluvsthekings is offline   Reply With Quote