View Single Post
Old
12-03-2003, 01:00 AM
garry1221

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to garry1221
a salary cap won't do much of anything, if it's a hard cap then the players making the big bucks now would just laugh at being 'forced' to take a paycut so such and such a team could keep under tha cap, the RFA rule as it stands now is what's killing finances, most rfa's you have to add 10 % to re-sign? ... gimme a break, i can think of a few players who wouldn't be making what they are now, but thanks to that GM's hands' are tied in the sense that they've gotta pay em to field a team

as for ideas, i brought one up awhile back, still think a variation of it could work, but the basic idea is for a base salary type of system, salaries could either be based upon the players age or the number of years they've been in the league

18 - 24 yrs old or 1 - 6 seasons: $400k - 950k base
24 - 33 yrs old or 7 - 15 seasons: $ 950k - 1.85 mil base
34 yrs and up or 15 + seasons: $400k - 3 mil base

add on bonuses/incentives and you've got a financially healthier league, a player doesn't meet his incentives too bad, but he still gets paid his base salary, i would put a cap on bonuses at around 4 or 5 mil if a vetran player thinks he's worth 8 mil then let him prove it, as for the last $$ stat i have, my reasoning is this: a vetran player who's been in the league a decade or more has a full spectrum of $ so as a team wouldn't have to overpay mind you the numbers on either side can be tweaked a little, but i pretty much feel the numbers are fine the way they are, the nhlpa probably wouldn't go for anything like this, but i'd bet the owners would eat it up in a heartbeat

just out of curiousity, say you're the arbitrator for the nhlpa, what would you do to tweak this idea so it would work from both sides, when i first put this up i got some flak for it, but IMO it's a reasonable solution, if a player don't play up to what he says he can play then it's his issue to deal with,