View Single Post
Old
07-31-2012, 03:22 PM
mitchy22

vCash: 500
I've suggested adding Komisarek for next-to-nothing before. The Islanders have a glut of mobile defenders and could use one more big body to round everything out. Let Donovan, de Haan and everyone else get overripe for a change. The Islanders should also be proactive about not getting caught with their pants down should the Visnovsky deal or the cap situation for next season not go the way they're projecting.

Komisarek is making $3.5 million/year for the next two seasons. His cap hit is $4.5 million/year for two more years. We were paying Eaton $3.0 million/year. It's hefty for a bottom pairing guy, but it's not brutally bad. I also believe Komisarek ends up being our #4 if everything remains the same. (Not saying he's a better player than AMac, but the pairings should work better. Against better skating, nonphysical teams, I'd swap AMac and Komisarek in the relevant pairings.)

With Visnovsky + Komisarek:
Streit-Hamonic
Visnovsky-Komisarek
AMac-Carkner

This version of our defense is the most experienced and balanced. Everyone gets to be in position. You have mobile guys paired with grittier or larger players. (I'll argue that Hamonic is both, and I'd love to clone him, but that technology is probably too expensive for our hockey club. )

Without Visnovsky + Komisarek:
Streit-Hamonic
AMac-Komisarek
Donovan/de Haan-Carkner

Too raw for my liking, but still balanced. We'd need a hefty contribution on offense from AMac or a rookie who will be playing next to guys who aren't exactly offensively talented to be polite.

Without Visnovsky and no other additions:
Streit-Hamonic
de Haan-AMac
Donovan-Carkner

Very raw, not strong enough, and poorly balanced. AMac has to play out of position. We have two rookies in the lineup. A rookie isn't really the ideal partner for Carkner. Entering the season with this lineup is not how to run a hockey club.

(You can also add Ness fighting for a spot against de Haan or Donovan. I'm hoping none of our more recent draftees are in the picture for a spot unless they dominate in camp.)

Like it or not, we really could use another defender with size. Komisarek isn't perfect, but he'll be paired with a mobile defender and we won't have to move AMac out of position. Our forwards are not an intimidating unit. We're small down the middle. Without an extra big body on defense, we're small in comparison to the competition we'll be facing. In the scenario that we cannot obtain Visnovsky, which I believe is very unlikely by the way, we'll be desperate for an NHL-ready defenseman. Even with Visnovsky, we should be looking to add another defenseman if we want to compete with the physically stronger teams in the East.

Probably too much analysis from an Isles fan, but take it for whatever it's worth. I know some of us won't take Komisarek at any price. I look at the above pairings and I think we should easily take him if it costs us minimal assets. Having bothered to say all of that, I actually think Komisarek will remain a Leaf unless they really need the extra cap.

Mitch

mitchy22 is offline   Reply With Quote