Thread: Speculation: Dion Phaneuf's next contract?
View Single Post
Old
07-31-2012, 09:08 PM
ALine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Phaneuf looks good when rated against his teammates who are one of the WORST D core's in the league there. I think he should be compared to others guys who make 6.5 million or above on D. Shea Weber, Doughty, Chara, Lidstrom, that will give u value there. I think Dion was the second best Dman on our team behind Gardiner. For the value Id take Franson over Dion. Franson has a bomb snap shot and get Barb Underhill to improve his feet. I like Franson and dont think he gets enough ice. I really want to see Holzer on the Leafs this year. To me Dion wants to be an offensive defenseman but lacks the IQ when to pinch. He was caught so many times last year pinching when his partner pinched or pinching at a bad time. He has the tools to be a better Shut down D man at this stage in his career. He should talk less because lets be honest he can not fight. His shot got a tad more accurate last year after his stick change. His shot has alot of power and very little accuracy. Something he could fix if he works hard this summer.
Ron Wilson's system was to pinch, that was the game plan. Wilson never held his d-men back to actually play defense. D-men being caught up ice and flat footed at the oppositions blue line was purely a product of the system the coach was running. Dion's hockey IQ is fine, its Wilson that needs the lesson. Dion was just playing the system, an unsustainable, and clearly ineffective system. Watch for Dion to have a great year under Carlyle.

ALine is offline   Reply With Quote