Thread: Speculation: Dion Phaneuf's next contract?
View Single Post
Old
07-31-2012, 10:24 PM
Interactif

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALine View Post
Ron Wilson's system was to pinch, that was the game plan. Wilson never held his d-men back to actually play defense. D-men being caught up ice and flat footed at the oppositions blue line was purely a product of the system the coach was running. Dion's hockey IQ is fine, its Wilson that needs the lesson. Dion was just playing the system, an unsustainable, and clearly ineffective system. Watch for Dion to have a great year under Carlyle.
The Bruins d pinch, or pressure the wingers by closing gaps. If anything our wingers let our D down by not backing up the D man when they force the play inside the blueline. This is not a weakness on Dion's part, it's a failure by our fwds to recognize our D forcing the play by playing aggressively. I called Watters on this when he used to harp on Dion's supposed pinching. He sort of backed off when I suggested shouldn't the wingers back up the D men as the Bruins wingers do so well. To me this has more to do with inadequate coaching than a D man not recognizing the situation. All the good teams pinch, the best one's back up the D, the Leafs were not one of those teams, and often it is the D man that looks bad when this happens, when infact it is a team problem.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote