Thread: Olympics: Gymnastics
View Single Post
Old
07-31-2012, 11:37 PM
Street Hawk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
USA good stuff last night.. stupid 2 per country rule, Jordyn Wieber should be in the all around.

My favorite olympic event. Hopefully they can win gold and bring back memories of 1996
That rule applies to virtually all sports. Events like diving, swimming, beach volleyball, etc put a 2 team/person limit per country.

I remember for the 2004 games, Ian Thorpe got DQ'd at the Australian trials and wasn't supposed to race in Athens for 1 of the events. 2 others qualified in his place. One of those guys ahead of him gave up his spot to Thorpe who went onto to win gold in Athens.

I'm sure the US has swimmers who could compete for a medal alongside Phelps and co., but aren't permitted to because they finished 3rd at the trials.

In gymnastics, it's set up differently in that they don't do the 2 person per country limit until you arrive at the games. You have to do the qualifying events in order to determine who gets to compete for the medals for all around and individual events.

Would it have made people feel better had it been decided at the USA gymnastics trials which 2 American female gymnists could compete for the all around medals at London?

No difference between that and what they are doing here. Just a timing thing.

Street Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote