View Single Post
Old
12-03-2003, 04:06 AM
Voynich

vCash: 500
There is one game that sticks out in my mind regarding Safronov. It was without doubt the very best game he has ever played. He got matched up against Forsberg last year when Colorado visited their old Coach for the first time. He totally shut down Forsberg, played him physical, held him in check and didn't let up all game.

The only problem is that was a very rare occurrence, if Safronov could play at that level even remotely consistently he'd be in Atlanta's top 4 right now.

I'll miss Gamache, I liked cheering for the little guy. I hoped he would get a more fair shake out in Atlanta but getting looks of one or two games at a time didn't really ever give him time to show what he could do. He always looked out of his element at the NHL level, but, as others have pointed out, he looked that way at the AHL level initially as well. I hope he gets his time to prove himself, he has a great attitude and is the kind of guy everyone wants to see succeed.

Time will tell, but with injuries to our D-corps we needed an NHL calibre d-man right now and this serves our needs as well as giving us a serviceable 4th line center, although that perplexes me as we have about 4 of them down on the farm too.

This may very well be a precursor to another trade involving one of our d-men, I'm hoping one not named Exelby will be moved.