View Single Post
Old
08-01-2012, 01:44 AM
Czech Your Math

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
GPG 0.83 0.79

If you watched a random game during these years, you'd have an 83% chance of seeing Gretzky score a goal and a 79% chance of seeing Bossy score.
That is false.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomersWorld View Post
Yesterday they replayed the final game on NHLnetwork of the 1982 Stanley Cup finals, Islanders vs. Canucks and Bossy ironically did have a goal in that game. He scored off a rebound of a Potvin shot. Anyways, the announcer was talking and said (paraphrasing): "In my opinion, Mike Bossy could be the best goal scorer ever... people might say Bobby Hull, Gordie Howe, or Rocket Richard but Bossy can score in so many different ways" or something like that. But I do think the announcers were highly biased towards the Islanders.

Lead the NHL playoffs in goals 3 straight years while winning the Cup those years. Gretzky only score 17 or more goals 1 time in the playoffs when he scored 17 goals in 1985-86. Certainly he was a better playmaker and racked up way more assists but if we are talking about straight goal scoring I think they are comparable. Career wise in the playoffs, Mike Bossy scored .659 goals per game, while Gretzky scored .587 goal per game pace.
Considering Gretzky scored 92 during that season, it does seem like a strange thing to say. BTW, Gretzky scored .684 gpg in his first 10 playoffs. This is similar to a common misuse of playoff stats that often happens with Messier. You can't fairly compare a full career with a shortened career (or in Messier's case, no playoffs past his prime). The scoring level of each era should also be taken into account, in which case Bossy's numbers don't seem quite so staggering. It also should be considered that Gretzky wasn't focusing mostly on goal-scoring, while Bossy was. Bossy may have been one of the 10 best goals scorers, but behind Lemieux, Gretzky, Bobby Hull, etc.

Czech Your Math is offline   Reply With Quote