View Single Post
Old
08-01-2012, 07:26 AM
BigG44

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
The thing with Ritchie is they always say power forwards take longer to develop properly. On the other hand I really do see Ritchie as the kind of player every fanbase overrates into becoming a top 6 guy.. when in reality they never put it all together. I could very easily look forward in 5 years and see Ritchie as a bust.

I think Guptil needs more love than Ritchie, considering he scored more points as a Freshman in College than R. Smith did.
Big Guptill fan, but in terms of development Reilly Smith was an 18 year old freshman and Guptill was 19. Looking at his his freshman season with Reilly's sophomore season is a better comparison since Guptill spent a year in the USHL before going to the NCAA.

It's not exactly common to have 18 year old freshman in the NCAA. Most guys are like Guptill and entering as 19 or 20 year old players. Both took a year to adjust to higher competition than the OJHL. Neither one dominated as 18 year old players in the NCAA or USHL, but Reilly putting up those point totals in mostly a depth role is impressive. That Miami team was stacked. They just were coming of a surprise run to the NCAA finals and a last second loss to BU. Even as a sophomore, Miami didn't have major upperclassmen turnover until Reilly's junior season. He was able to steal minutes and a Top 6 role for veteran players.

Looking only at both players 2 years post draft, Reilly Smith is the more accomplished player by a pretty significant margin.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote