View Single Post
Old
08-01-2012, 09:04 AM
DAChampion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
They weren't weak on the PP, which is the whole point of the discussion.
In order to compete, the Habs are missing a:

1) PP Triggerman. Someone to replace the lineage of Sourray/Streit/Schneider/Bergeron/Wisniewski. Buddha smoke has argued Subban will succeed in this role, but others pointed out Subban has low accuracy, low precision, and telegraphs his intentions. Formerly good prospect Yannick Weber could have fulfilled this role but his development ... failed.

2) An additional top-6 forward. We can't be a one-line team like last year. This could have been Semin, but Bergevin chose not to. Any of Eller, Leblanc, or Gallagher has the potential to step into the role. IMO Bourque is not good enough for top-6 duties, I think he's deadwood, but other people have hope.

3) A defensive dman with size. Our defense might be the shortest in the league. Emelin, the tallest, is 6'2", Kaberle is 6'1", then Markov, Subban, and Gorges are 6'0". All the other dmen are below 6'0". There's no one big. No Hal Gill, no Paul Mara, no Sheldon Sourray, no Mike Komisarek. Further, out of the current defense corps, there is only going to be one shutdown unit: whatever unit Gorges is on. Could be Subban-Gorges or Markov-Gorges, i.e. we will physically exhaust either Markov or Subban putting them on shutdown duties when their energies should ideally be conserved for offese. The other two units will end up giving up a lot of goals.

4) An enforcer. I realize this is controversial, but I think it'd good for the team. I'm not sure why we let go of Brad Staubitz, he was the only bright spot of the last 10 games of the season. Brandon Prust is 5'11", 195 lbs. He has other qualities, but he won't cut it in the enforcement department. Bergevin chose not to keep Staubitz. Bergevin chose not to sign John Scott.

Habs are finishing 11th-15th this season.

Last edited by DAChampion: 08-01-2012 at 09:24 AM.