View Single Post
Old
08-01-2012, 09:41 AM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

vCash: 500
I don't do any of those trades, well... maybe the Clowe deal.

Lombardi should be worth a lot more than that. He will see the ice as a Leaf this season, and be part of a package near the deadline, or just before the cut-off for Christmas.

He wasn't awful for the Leafs last season, coming back somewhat prematurely from a major concussion and entire missed season/off-season. He'll be significantly better this year, and the Leafs need to get him minutes to increase his value. If that means putting Frattin on the Marlies for half the year, it's a necessity. Otherwise, yes, in fact all you'll maybe get is a Kyle Chipchura...

Mike Komisarek is a necessary piece of the Leafs blueline. He's not only one of the better defenders from last season, but playing for Carlyle will rejuvenate his career. Gone are the days of the speedy North-South action, that was so awful for Schenn and Komisarek.

Now you'll see a slower paced team, and Komisarek is a key piece to that puzzle. Komisarek was one of Burke's first acquisitions, before he figured out that Ron Wilson would totally ef things up by not playing the style of hockey Burke would try and build a team around. And since the contract Komisarek signed was so big and long, he outlasted Wilson, and will see a marked improvement and usefulness under Carlyle.

Komisarek will likely be re-signed, not dumped for a useless pick. However, it's a guarantee that he'll be re-signed -la Bozak, (who went from a massively underwhelming performance at $3.5M to an awesome over-performing $1.2M deal). So expect Komisarek back at a $1.8M or $2.25M (tops) contract, even though he'll be playing significantly better.

MacArthur+3rd for Clowe. Okay, that's an acceptable trade. I would do this for Toronto.

Bozak + Holzer for Hjalmarsson I would not do, but that's not actually that bad a trade. I just don't think that Chicago would go anywhere near it, so the value's just too one-sided for the Leafs, and Hjalmarsson isn't even that coveted of a piece for us.

When Chicago traded for Johnny Oduya last year, it was because they were in dire need, and I mean dire (because Oduya started playing 24m+ per night) for defenders. To trade one of their key pieces just for a decent 2C option and a question mark on the blueline, doesn't make any sense.

As for Hjalmarsson, I think he'd be a welcome addition to the blueline in Toronto, but like I said, not a key addition nor is there value for Chicago. Unless Chicago starts seeking trade advice from Mike Milbury, this is a non-starter.

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote