View Single Post
Old
08-01-2012, 09:47 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
I think everybody, deep down, knows that we're eventually going to have two lines with a Staal each. This talk of playing them together makes no sense. It dilutes the depth of the center position and it puts them both in a position of not being able to watch each other and critique each other the way we want. I want a dog fight between those two for who can have the more impressive shift each time they jump over the boards. If they have to play together on the PP, then that is well and good.
You know, I really like the way you think.

From a team-chemistry standpoint it makes a TON of sense to separate the Staals at even strength and put them together on the PP.

For ~30 minutes a game we have the brothers coming over the boards, skating their normal shift knowing the other is watching, and then coming back to get feedback.

Then on the power play, both of them come out with that feeling of "OK, let's go to work"... which is a normal feeling for a PP unit, but in this case almost Sedin-like. They get 60 easy seconds with a lot of space to work with each other in the offensive zone. And damned if we don't have an actual RHS sniper waiting to pull the trigger on the other side, keeping at least one defender honest the whole time.

Ideally, the whole game ebbs and flows between the Staals competing/encouraging, then coming together. It actually sounds fun to be part of that.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote