View Single Post
Old
08-01-2012, 10:33 AM
Hawkman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
I'd love to see Alfredsson get in the HHOF, he was my first favorite hockey player. Real class act and phenomenal hockey player, I think if Sundin got in on the first ballot, Alfie could have just as good a chance to get in on his first, more realistically second ballot.
Alfie getting in before or at the same time as Shanahan and Lindros would be a felony.

It's weird how we as fans and voters think of the Halls of Fames. There's no official special category first ballot HoFer, but that's how we think of it. It's also very political.

Ryne Sandberg of the Chicago Cubs was the all time leader among second basemen in homers and fielding % at the time he retired, but he played for bad teams, was very shy, and did not talk to the media. The voters punished him with a second year induction and there was nothing in the national media.

If Derek Jeter had retired after the last Yankees World Series victory and the same thing happened to Mr Yankee, it would have been a huge national scandal, although his individual accomplishments would not have been as good. He won the 2011 Gold Glove, although according to fielding metrics, he had the worst range of any shortstop in the major leagues. If you get to fewer balls, your fielding percentage will be higher, because you have less chance for errors. It's all politics.