View Single Post
Old
08-01-2012, 02:03 PM
bogans

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
Great summary and analysis, though you might want to mention Gaborik as a possibility to still be here in a few years. I know it's unlikely and it certainly won't happen at his current salary, but I wouldn't rule out a shorter deal at a lower cap hit between $5.5-6 million per year IF he can come back healthy from this shoulder injury and produce for the next two years.

Either way, it's amazing how long RW has been a weakness on this team. Remember when Evgeny Grachev was viewed as a potential savior at that spot?
Gaborik will only be 32 when his contract expires and I could easily see him sign here again, especially if this team produces over the next two seasons and he finds some more ice with other top line players either having been brought in or developed around him. But, if his contract expires and and nobody within the Rangers system looks likely to replace Gabby, NYR must use that freed up salary for a free agent replacement. I don't see it as a weakness. The only system weakness is NHL ready goaltending (though they have a pretty good guy starting between the pipes right now) and depth defenseman (though they have anywhere from four - six very young defenseman who should maintain a high level of play for a while right now). THe future looks bright.

bogans is offline   Reply With Quote