View Single Post
Old
08-01-2012, 05:28 PM
Beukeboom Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
Your post listed a majority of all the hypothetical positive possible - it seemed excessively optimistic to me, but granted I seem to have misunderstood the point you were trying to make.

Even so...
An improvement from Crawford and a capable PK are two big "if's" as it is. The PK will almost surely not improve very much, given the same exact personnel are returning as well as the same coaching staff (Kitchen handles the PK). Even when we had the good Crawford in 10-11, the PK was still really bad.

Still, even if a good Crawford and good PK are a reality next year for the Hawks, there are simply too many roster holes (as well as, in this hypothetical scenario, still having one of the very worst PP's in the league) for the team to truly contend for the Cup. Not to mention the terrible team defense, which is a problem whether Crawford improves his numbers or not... although I doubt CC improves much at all if he's hung out to dry this next year as often as he was the last.

Some positive things will probably happen. Some things will turn for the negative as well. Such is the nature of the NHL. There is little reason to expect that a bottom-four playoff team from last year that couldn't get out of the first round will suddenly vault into contending for the Cup in the late rounds of the playoffs despite no genuine changes in the roster or coaching staff.
If everything I said happened in my initail post, the Hawks would be favorites to win the Cup. All it takes is a couple those things to happen and I think the Hawks are in the upper tier with the serious contenders.

No offense Chris - but you're just ludicrously negative. Maybe from your perspective your just being realistic - but from your post the Hawks are going to be fighting with the Jackets for Jones or McKinnon.

IMO - the Hawks have the personel to PK effectively. If I'm the coaching staff, I'm spending all summer to figure out WTF happened last year, and what we need to do to fix it. I'm not just writing off the season because they were bad on the PK last year, and Crawford struggled. There have been a ton of teams that had aspects of their games that struggled, that were able to turn it around. Will the Hawks? Who knows, but I don't think it's impossible for them to do so like you seem to.