View Single Post
Old
04-25-2006, 09:17 AM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers4ever
Anyway, in a nutshell, I just want to enjoy hockey.. Obviously hockey has always been about checking, hitting. And yes I do think that you telling me to watch women's instead of men's is a bit chauvanistic.. but oh well, we will agree to disagree i guess..
fair enough... but i don't understand how you've EVER enjoyed hockey if that hit bothers you. that's the way the game is played, has been played, and will continue to be played. if those hits were not taking place the sport would cease to be hockey and become something else.

you need to look up the word... cuz you don't understand it. i'll help:

1) Militant devotion to and glorification of one's country; fanatical patriotism.

2) Prejudiced belief in the superiority of one's own gender, group, or kind: “the chauvinism... of making extraterrestrial life in our own image” (Henry S.F. Cooper, Jr.).

A) the word "chauvinism" has NOTHING to do with gender...

B) what i think you wanted to call me was a male chauvinist. however, even that doesn't hold up because i wasn't making a claim that there was anything superior to either side... i was pointing out an EXTANT difference between the way the two games are played. the women's game doesn't involve hitting... however, what makes your reference to me as a "[chauvinist]" even more ignorant is the fact that i also pointed out European (Mens) Leagues as well as no-contact Roller (which I play... but even that has some hitting) as other leagues of hockey that you might find more enjoyable than the NHL.

whatever floats your boat... i'm sorry the hit bothered you... however, it remains baffling to me that you could have loved this sport for 20 years and have hits like that, which happen with some regularity, bother you... they're, as said, a very basic element of how the sport is played. the physical contact is what makes the sport great... it's what makes all the "hockey" -- though it remains unclear how you can remove this element from "hockey" -- as you refer to it, so great... the fact that these guys can skate, pass, score, etc. within the cauldron that is the sport...

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote