View Single Post
Old
08-02-2012, 11:26 AM
Stewie G
Needed more hitting!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendaryNumber5 View Post
I read a big article on his mechanics a couple months ago but I can not remember where. Apparently he leaves himself too closed off and his elbow at a severe angle. He then has to over rotate his hips and bring his elbow around to square up to the throw. They did a side by side with some pitchers with sound mechanics and the way he throws just looks painful in comparison. Bottom line, his elbow is much more susceptible to injury than a pitcher with even average mechanics.
My memory is horrible so I'm struggling to remember the exact pitchers that were discussed, but ESPN the Magazine (don't judge me, I get it for the Insider access) had an article on pitching mechanics and how some teams send their pitchers to a company that does a complete breakdown of their delivery and identifies potential trouble spots. Some teams are completely against it for whatever reason, and if I remember correctly, the Nats weren't interested on having Strasburg evaluated.

I did a quick Google search and came up with a short ESPN.com article that looks to be a snippet from the full magazine article. Not a lot of positives in that comparison.