View Single Post
Old
08-02-2012, 04:17 PM
DAChampion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
He would have to go trough waivers in order to be sent to the AHL. If he's not claims, it means we couldn't have traded him. If he's claimed then we'll have lost him for nothing.

I'm puzzled you mentionned Ryan McDonagh. He was drafted the same year as Weber yet he's now a top pairing defensemen. McDonagh might have been in the NHL and certainly AHL earlier if he didn't opt to stay this long at Uni since he ended up becaming a NHL regular in his first pro season. A far cry from Beauchemin or Hainsey who became regulars in their mid 20ies after getting waived.

Weber could become a decent defensemen down the road but I'm not sure we can afford to be patient with him with so many good young defensemen coming up. With Ellis, Beaulieu, Tinordi and another waive of good prospects in Dietz and Thrower coming after them there won't be place left for him.
I don't think losing Weber to waiver is too much of a concern. The loss on the waiver is whatever 6th round draft pick we could have had for Weber. The potential gain is higher as he could actually develop.

I think the odds of getting value out of Weber are low, but we might as well take that those odds.

DAChampion is online now   Reply With Quote