View Single Post
Old
08-02-2012, 10:36 PM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu View Post
Does anyone have any advice on things to do, places to go, or (especially) things to eat in Asheville and/or Winston-Salem? We're planning on seeing Biltmore, Old Salem, and the Reynolda House. I know its not part of the triangle, but I figure that a few of you might be from there or travel there often.
Asheville - DEFINITELY Tupelo Honey, as Boom Boom Anton mentioned. We usually go for a breakfast/brunch there and it's always amazingly good. Brewery tours are always fun as Asheville has some quality ones - Highland, Green Man, Wedge, Pisgah, and French Broad all come to mind. A trip to the Biltmore Estate is always a prerequisite if you're going to Ashevile. There's also Asheville's art deco City Hall, and the Thomas Wolfe House.

Winston-Salem - Places to eat - Village Tavern (my wife's favorite from her Wake Forest days), Bleu, Foothills (another local brewery with a great restaurant as well), Hutch and Harris, Midtown Cafe and Dessertery (another favorite of my wife's). Also in Winston you're close to the heart of NC Wine country, the Yadkin Valley. There's some great wineries up there as well as some good restaurants, Twenty-One and Main in Elkin, especially.

Things to do - tour Old Salem, the Southeastern Center for Contemporary Art, and Reynolda House,.

Both Asheville and Winston-Salem have great minor league parks. Asheville's home of the Asheville Tourists, the low-A affiliate of the Colorado Rockies. Stadium was completely rebuilt n the '90s, but the site itself is quite historical it was the site of the world's fastest baseball game (all 9 innings were played in a little under an hour), Thomas Wolfe was a bat boy there, it served as the site of Babe Ruth's infamous "Bellyache Heard 'Round the World," and Crash Davis hit his record-setting HR and played his last professional baseball game there (at least in Bull Durham). Winston-Salem is home of the high-A Winston-Salem Dash (affiliated with the Chicago White Sox). Their stadium is pretty new, having been pen for 2-3 seasons now. It's pricey though, especially for class A baseball.