View Single Post
Old
08-03-2012, 09:33 AM
Iain Fyffe
Hockey fact-checker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
True to an extent, but goals, assists, and points are less team dependent than save percentage, especially for star-calibre players who tend to drive the offense.
Sorry to be pedantic, but my claim that all stats are team-dependent to varying degrees is true to an extent? What you say above, that some stats of some players are less team-dependent than others, fits exactly with what I said.

Quote:
You want me to quantify the percentage of hockey analytics people who believe in the single stat theory of goaltending? You realize that's an impossible task, right?
No, I'd rather you stay away from blanket claims about what analysts do and think, especially ones that claim an analyst believes any hockey stats to be "perfect."

Quote:
And is not the very premise of the single stat theory of goaltending that everything one needs to know about goaltending is captured by save percentage?
I suppose that depends on how you define the "single stat theory of goaltending". Who has defined it this way? Who claims that everything one needs to know about goaltending is captured by save percentage?

I've certainly seen (and made) the claim that if you're going to use a single stat for goaltenders, it should be save percentage, because it is the least team-dependent of the goalie stats. But that's not what you're saying here. You're again claiming that a serious analyst would suggest that save percentage is a "perfect" stat.

Quote:
Depends on how you use it. It would be the best stat for complain goalies who play on the same team (assuming similar lineups, etc)
Would it? If goalies play on the same team, wouldn't much of the issue of team-dependency of save percentage be erased? When comparing goalies on the same team, why would GAA be better than save percentage?

Iain Fyffe is offline   Reply With Quote