View Single Post
Old
08-03-2012, 12:00 PM
dan1el

vCash: 500
Two Ottawa trades, Oilers & Panthers

These are my first proposals. I hope I'm close but don't flame too hard if I'm way off.

Two trades that I think could make the Sens much better. I'll start with the Edmonton trade because I think it's more likely to happen;

get:
Zach Smith, C
Ben Bishop, G
Mark Borowiecki, D
2013 4th round pick

get:
Ales Hemsky, W
Sam Gagner, C

-The Oilers get a reliable, young, 6'7 goaltender in Ben Bishop, who can split work with Dubnyk but is a better option in the long-run.
-Zach Smith adds toughness and a decent amount of goal-scoring. He was on pace for 20 goals but slowed down about half-way through the season, he can also hit, grind and kill penalties.
-Mark Borowiecki is our best defensive prospect outside of Ceci and has solid top 4 upside. He looked very good in his two games last year. He's ready to step in now if need be.

Meanwhile the Sens build on their centre depth and get a solid top-6 winger. Robin Lehner is ready to step in as Andy's backup on the big team.

I think that trade is pretty good in value and helps both teams. The Panthers one, I think I may be a little off in value, but who knows.

get:
Marc Methot, D
Colin Greening, W
Matt Puempel, W
Right to swap firsts in 2013 (conditional 3rd if they choose to retain their own pick)

get:
Erik Gudbranson

Another big, powerful, up-and-coming defender for the Sens could help our top 4 a lot in the future.

-Marc Methot can play anywhere in the top 4 immediately for the Panthers.
-Colin Greening had a very good rookie year with 17 goals and 20 assists. He's not very skilled (that's being generous, his hands are rocks), but he's really fast and isn't afraid to hit. He can also kill penalties.
-Matt Puempel is a very talented winger prospect (taken 24th overall in 2011). I didn't want to add him, because I still think he has 20-25 goal upside but we have a great forward prospect pool and I think we can afford to give him up.
-The first/conditional third thing was added because I do think the Panthers will finish higher then us, especially because they're getting more immediate help. If that's the case, they get the higher out of our two firsts.

I'm not sure how untouchable Gudbranson is, so sorry to Panthers fans if I'm under-valuing him. I think both teams could gain from this deal.

Thoughts?