View Single Post
Old
08-03-2012, 05:26 PM
madgoat33

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
I did not describe what happened 15 years ago. I describe what happens since the Cap is here. You don't overpay for players like Jagr or Whitney anymore just to have them. You need to spend your money wisely and need to avoid taking on dead salary. Bowman did this with Frolik but I could see why he got the contract he did.

You only overpay for players that will put you over the Top or give you an advantage over others. Parise would have been that guy. Brodeur could have been this as shortterm filler. Other than those 2 & Suter, there wasn't a UFA that was worth giving up top dollar and term. Doan is the last UFA that is interesting for us. Maybe a Vet for depth but that's it.
We got our physical Defensiv D #6/7 who can PK in Brookbank and we wanted to improve our Top6 and Goaltender.

You don't spend and sign just to for sake of doing it
I generally agree with everything you say about bowman/the hawks current situation and this particular tidbit sums it up perfectly. In a capped league you HAVE to consider the future. Personally, I'd rather watch a team that builds a good system, makes the po's every year and are strong cup contenders every 3 or so years than a team that blows their load every year trying to win the cup and ends up in bad shape in 3-4 years(at least now that we've won a cup recently). If we had lost to philly, I'd be all in favor of stan being super aggressive and trying to win the cup every season.