View Single Post
Old
08-04-2012, 01:19 PM
vecens24

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
He's played 7 full seasons - 6 of them as a relevant player to the NHL - is that really a "greenhorn?"
Eh, he's still on the lower end in games played I'd say in this thing. Defintiely not necessarily a greenhorn, but still lower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back Scuderi View Post
I definitely am a fan of his PK record here too. (Excluding this past season) He's killed 35% of his teams penalties, on units 21% above average.

I also didn't realize he captained Finland's WC team the past two years either.
The PK number has to be elite for this level. He's defintiely first PK material here, there is no doubt about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
Yeah, I recall saying the guy's a AAA pick at best.

He never scored 25 goals and lacking playoff experience.
What he has is three (3) significant seasons in his career of 40-something assists and three years of captaincy. You can add two seasons of defensive work if you like, the "top-10 selke finishes' being an overvalued stat around here. His career is full of potential but underwhelming in terms of performances, impact and historical significance.

Stick the relative greenhorn in terms of all-time play on the fourth line to provide some playmaking and 2nd unit special teams play.
You are on drugs if you think that he's had two solid seasons of defensive work. The guy has been getting Selke votes since 2005-2006, meaning he has 6 seasons of relevant defensive work. He has an T4, 8, 11 in Selke voting, and has received a vote every single year since the lockout. His defensive ability is established as very strong here.

His offense is based on playmaking. He's not a goalscorer, so I don't know why it would be a surprise he's never had 25 goals. Henrik Sedin has scored 23 or more goals once in his career, does that mean that he wouldn't be useful from an offensive standpoint here because he can't score? He has three significant offensive seasons, plus two more where he was at .75 and .8 PPG only playing 57 and 55 games. Not as significant as the others, but his offensive production has never waned when he's been on the ice either.

His leadership has been solid. He has been full time captain of the Wild for over 3 years now, plus he was captain more than anyone else the year prior to that. Also, he captained the WC champion Finns in 2011, where he had two assists in the final, which shows at least a little bit of gamesmanship that he is lacking from a lack of playoff appearances.

Koivu is a fine 3rd line center in this thing for a two-way line that will D up and chip in offensively.

vecens24 is offline   Reply With Quote