View Single Post
Old
08-04-2012, 01:21 PM
Rob Scuderi

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
Yeah, I recall saying the guy's a AAA pick at best.

He never scored 25 goals and lacking playoff experience.
What he has is three (3) significant seasons in his career of 40-something assists and three years of captaincy. You can add two seasons of defensive work if you like, the "top-10 selke finishes' being an overvalued stat around here. His career is full of potential but underwhelming in terms of performances, impact and historical significance.

Stick the relative greenhorn in terms of all-time play on the fourth line to provide some playmaking and 2nd unit special teams play.
He's not a goal-scorer so I really don't care if he's hit 20 or 22 rather than 25. Where's the shame in 3 45+ assist seasons out of almost 4 full seasons?

Playoff record is certainly weaker but it's not like he's a playoff underachiever as much a member of crappy teams, that he's seen as a leader on. He's been captain for the Wild for three seasons and twice he captained the Finnish WC team, once to a Gold where he led the team in scoring. He also led the team in scoring in '08 to a Bronze.

If he only gets credit for two seasons of defensive work (the top 10 Selke finishes) then what does that say for every other 3C lacking the same record? Surely you aren't giving guys like Wayne Merrick or Bobby Carpenter credit for one defensive season are you? Merrick didn't have the Selke his whole career, but he's only got 3 voting points one year. Carpenter was called one of the league's best shadows under Lemaire, but milked that into one 7th place voting finish and nothing else.

He's got more GP than Mark Streit (who was a fantastic pick) but less internationally. I really don't think his GP is a huge factor when he's managed to carve out the reputation he has. To say he's done nothing historical is to ignore his resume because it doesn't seem "complete" enough for you.

Rob Scuderi is offline   Reply With Quote