View Single Post
Old
08-05-2012, 02:10 PM
William H Bonney

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
@William H. Bonney: What's the story with Welinski? Does he have a shot at all? I haven't seen him play, yet.
There's some USHL followers here that could provide much better insight than I can but I'm a fan of Andy's and think he'll be in the running towards the end. I'd take him over the other non-NTDP USHLers (Schmaltz, Cooper) and I think he's currently better than others like Carrick and Russo.

The issue with trying to project the defense group is that it's incredibly deep and I wouldn't be surprised to see Housley side with the pure skaters as well. You already have 3 guys (Jones, Trouba, Murphy) that are absolute locks barring injuries and all three will play a ton and all three are two-way guys. I think Sieloff is the frontrunner to play the rugged stay-at-home role. If you concede those four, that only leaves three spots. Really depends on where Housley wants to take those but it also sounds like Mike Reilly (a Housley type) was really impressive in the first intrasquad game.

I like Welinski's chances to be in the running until the end but it's too close to call beyond that for me, although we'll get a lot more clarity on what Housley is looking for in this group during this camp.