View Single Post
Old
08-05-2012, 04:09 PM
eco's bones

vCash: 500
I don't think it's bitterness at all. This has nothing to do with last year's playoffs against them. They deserved to win. They were the better team.

Losing Parise hurts them more than some might think. It puts the whole onus of carrying the offense on one player--Kovalchuk. Elias is still a very good player but he's also on the wrong side of 35. Zubrus will be 35. Brodeur is 40. Hedberg 39. Salvador who just signed a 3 year $3 + mil per is 36 and I wouldn't be expecting the kind of offense he displayed in the playoffs. He's basically a low scoring stay at home d-man.

There's not a lot of youth there. Henrique-very good player. Josefson--is a question. Tedenby had a disaster of a season and size and strength make you wonder if he's going to bust. And there's Larsson and that's about it.

I really don't understand their off season to boot. It's like they set out to re-sign as much of their roster as possible. Failed on Parise and Ponikarovsky. Brought back Greene, Salvador, Brodeur, Hedberg, Janssen, Carter, Bernier, Harrold and Gionta. The only new guy is Krys Barch. Even if they had signed Parise that's not how you improve a team. A lot of what they kept is just one year older and a good part of that is well past it's prime.

Another factor is the potential of being taken over by the league. As if LL needed another excuse for being cheap. Losing Parise means 'shut down Kovalchuk and you stop the Devils' strategies. It means they are going to have to grind out more 2-1, 3-2 games. Means De Boer is probably going to have to coach more like Lemaire. Means there is going to be more pressure on their D and on their goal.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote