View Single Post
Old
12-03-2003, 09:35 AM
LawnDemon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Did you know that you can train a labrat to instinctively know how to maneuvre through a maze from start to finish at the fastest route, but the second you put it under any mental pressure (i.e. put a cat in with it), it's performance radically changes, either for better or worse?

You can hammer it into someones head how to do something, or you could have them at their absolute best, but it doesn't mean that when the time comes to perform, they won't mess up, or they won't make bad decisions.
i don't have time to kill a digital forest so i'll stick to this comment because i think some good discussion can come of it...

if a scientist can train a rat to find the cheese in the same maze every time why on earth can't macT teach hockey players to dump the puck hard of the glass when killing penalties or when pressured in their own zone?

seriously, is dumping the puck high off the boards too difficult for the likes of brewer and horcoff? how is that any more complicated than navigating a repetitive maze? get - the - puck - shoot - it - hard - and - high - off - the - glass. not rocket science.

your point seems to be that an intelligent person (scientist) can teach some of the stupidest animals on earth to efficiently complete repetitive tasks. if that is the case, macT must be awfully slow upstairs if he can't teach other humans to do an equally (relative to the intellectual capacity of the actor) simple, repetitive task.

if the oiler players would simply shoot the puck hard off the glass then the PK% would go up dramatically, the GAA would drop, and the wins would pile up.

you can argue that it's still up to the players to "do what they're told"... fair enough - but if i'm coach and the players don't do something as simple as dump the puck where the other team can't get it THEN THOSE PLAYERS SIT ON THE FREAKIN BENCH. case closed.

so either macT isn't telling them what to do or he isn't enforcing his own rules. either way, he is at least equally at fault with the players and G2K is more right than wrong in his commentary.