View Single Post
Old
08-05-2012, 09:50 PM
SadStumpy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
Supply and demand...

For supply, that's simple, the card company will make cards in different rarities for all sorts of reasons.

Demand is where things get complicated...obvoiously top players are worth a lot. Autographs and pieces of game used jerseys... Usually the focus is on rookie cards, the first year the player appears on a card. And there are variations and exceptions for everything. Card design is also important as people will collect cards that look nice or have an appealing design. Plus one thing that most people always forget is that tradition in sets is very important. If the same set comes out every year then people will be more confident about the card's in that set value as there will be built in demand from collectors chasing those cards every year. Upper Deck's Young Guns set is the best example of this.

How cards get extremely valuable is when multiple of the above factors are in effect. If the demand comes from multiple factors and then exceeds supply in an obvious way, the card may go up exponentially.
Thank you! That's actually quite interesting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
Also, very few sports cards go up in value from the year they're released. The exceptions will be like the hidden gem rookie that took a couple years to mature, like Jeremy Lin in basketball or Erik Karlsson in hockey. The other 99 percent will go down then plateau out in value. One nice thing about hockey cards is of all of the sports generally hockey cards go down very little and thus overall hold their value really well, especially Upper Deck post 2002 and old O Pee Chee cards. This is because these makers' sets have a lot of tradition built in.
I feel like I shot myself in the foot for throwing mine away after moving. I haven't the faintest clue what cards I'd had beside my Hextall one, but having read this thread, I wish I could look back at them now because of:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
I just collected, never thought of them as an investment as a kid. Wouldn't dream of selling them - I'd rather give them to my kid when he's growing up to kick-start his collection. Gives me a nice bit of nostalgia and I can look over them and remember all the random players who've passed through the league that I've since forgotten even existed.
This!

Even today, I think back to random players. Sometimes I struggle to remember the names of players on random rosters of random teams. I think I might start buying cards again for the aforementioned nostalgia. It would be so helpful with remembering an incident from a particular game if I could look back at a card and tell me unborn son that "this guy was an *******."