Thread: Hockey cards
View Single Post
Old
08-06-2012, 09:25 AM
Puckclektr

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
The only cards that have any real value are from 1988 and previous. Anything post-88 is too mass-produced to have any real value. The only way collectors can be convinced there is some kind of artificial value of today's cards is to produce "limited edition" gimmick cards. When the gimmick runs its course, there is no longer a market for the card. There is no value except the fictitous value the price guide tells you. If nobody will buy it, the value is bogus.

I have collected cards all my life and became disgusted by the way the business went in the mid to late 90s. Today you can pay $5 for a pack of cards because you have the chance to get a gimmick card with artificial value. That is a complete scam. I buy single cards of players I like and will NEVER pay more than $2 for a card. Most cards I buy are $.25 each. If you pay more than two bucks, you are likely getting sucked in by a gimmick.
I agree 100%. The industry is disgusting. Lets take Upper Deck for example. YOu spend $4-6 a pack. The most popular card that most people want are the young gun rookie cards. Well you get one in every four packs. It could take you 4 packs or more to get a rookie. But it doesn't stop there. The amount of rookies in the pack that will never play a game in the NHL or get in a few and become a career AHLer is incredible. You want that Yakapov or Nugent-Hopkins card now. Pay an arm and a leg to get it. Value doesn't really go up on those cards at all. The other players that at one time were expensive like a Andreas Salomonson which was probably $20 at one point are now probably booked at $10, but if you go to sell it you might get a shiny new nickel. The only value those cards have are to the people that collect all the rookies, and trust me, there are not many of them.
I have been to many card shops arounf Canada and the states. YOu want a deal on hockey cards. Save your money and go to the spring or fall expo in Toronto and you will get loads of good deals. I collect many things and find it all there for good prices. sportcardexpo.com