View Single Post
Old
08-06-2012, 08:52 AM
habsfanatics*

vCash: 500
I think that the use of advance statistics is most definitely a helpful tool, but it should never be expected to replace advanced scouting, however, I think it would be prudent for most teams to adopt their use and get the best of both worlds.

Sometimes we have predetermined biases that numbers can be useful to counter or augment, however, I find the numbers are often used to justify the predetermined biases we all have, it's a bit of a catch 22. I don't think you can build a roster with sabremetrics, but believe it could be used as a useful tool as long as we realize the limits. For matchups, zone starts ect it can be highly effective imo. A player like MAB can become extremely valuable if used only in a limited role maximizing his strengths.

Some people like to trot it out as the be all end though and I don't think they do analysts much good in doing so. Many argued that Scott Gomez was bound to bounce back, even though he went scoreless an entire year. Gomez could be used as the poster boy of why these numbers are limited in scope and practical use or Gomez could just be the anomaly in all this.

I find them extremely limited in determined future results, especially from season to season in the overall team aspect. Roster turnover ect play a much greater role.

habsfanatics* is offline   Reply With Quote