Quote:
Originally Posted by torrencemd View Post
* Sutter is an RFA
* Letang is a UFA
* Kunitz is a UFA
* Malkin is a UFA

Summer of 2014
B. Orpik UFA

who IMHO if he doesnt have a bounce back year will either have to take a pay cut and sign a sweetheart deal or pack his bags. His money will be split between Sutter and Letang, Malkin COULD be signed to a similar Crosby deal maybe just a shorter term? And by then Im sure one or more of Dumoulin, Harrington and Morrow will be pushing the NHL for time, if not all three. Dumoulin seems to be a Brooks clone. Also if Kunitz is still able to play no way we pay him 3.75 again as a 35 yr old which is how old he will be at the start of the 2015 season... So the money will be there
I agree. You don't pass up on signing Shane Doan because of some possibilities of signing bigger UFA's in the next 2 years. Every season we go through this "this year's UFA wingers suck but look at next year's list". Then most of the good ones re-sign with their current teams and it's rinse, repeat. I still think the likelihood of getting Doan is slim to none, but if he's willing to sign here I say you go for it.

I expect Martin and possibly Orpik to be gone and filled internally. So that's 8.75 out the door and under 2 mil to replace them. That more than pays for the Malkin and Sutter raise (Geno to 11 mil at most and Sutter to 4). Letang's raise will be paid for with that plus IF it boils down to it, we let Kunitz walk and hopefully internal solutions have arrived.