View Single Post
Old
08-06-2012, 04:02 PM
zeus3007*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
While they did try to acquire Heatley, there have been too few moves for a team in their position. Tambellini blew up the team but he didn't bring back players that could contribute now, he mainly went for futures. The plan was to sit on Eberle, MPS, Hall, RNH, and now Yakupov. That should not be the plan, the plan should be to make your team the best it can be for the upcoming season. I'd take finishing in the 17th spot over finishing dead last any season.
How would you have brought back players? Free agents don't like signing with teams who have no shot at the playoffs, they prefer to sign with contenders, and considering how few free agents have been hitting the market, getting any was impossible. Tambellini blew up the team (meaning, traded the plugs and bums for whatever scraps we could get), and our prospect pool at the time was awful, so were there any trade chips that the Oil could have used to bring in good players? Show me a GM who will take spare parts from the 30th place team in exchange for top six forwards or top four defensemen, and I'll show you a GM who is getting fired shortly. The plan was to compete, but once he ended up with an all star cast that included Ethan Moreau, Patrick O'Sullivan, Ryan Putolny, Zack Stortini, etc, there really was no option other than to build through the draft. That's not tanking, that's just being a bad team. Tanking is like the Penguins of old shipping half of their NHL roster to the minors so they would lose and draft Mario Lemieux. What the Oilers did was not an intentional tank, it was building from the ground up when they had nothing left and no way of getting anything.