View Single Post
Old
08-06-2012, 06:05 PM
Mr Sakich

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
I am not assuming that all teams which come in last do so willingly. I am suggesting that the case could be made for some who intentionally deal away important parts of their NHL roster, and refuse to re-stock their NHL depth through FA, are doing so because it could be the difference between a 10th overall pick and a 5th overall pick. I am suggesting that, if in fact that mind-state exists, it's pathetic.
which important Oilers got traded away?

People talk about the Oilers intentionally tanking but that is not true. We never traded away key parts. Penner was probably the closest to a tank job but lots of teams trade soon to be ufa if they are out of the playoff hunt on deadline day. The season was over before we traded him.

The sad truth was that our team was devoid of elite talent and we did not have elite prospects coming up. A decision was made to grow through prospects and not to chase short term dreams.

It is a painful process and takes a few years but I am confident the Oilers will finish even or ahead of the Flames this year and dominate them in the future.