Thread: Our PP Units
View Single Post
Old
08-06-2012, 08:53 PM
pdd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
Bertuzzi and Cleary can battle out for a spot, and Sammy likewise on the point, but they have to give Nyquist and Smith PP time. Waste of talent otherwise. Time to get some youth movement going with actions and not just words.

Z-Pavel-Mule
Kron-White

Goose-Fil-Cleary/Bert/Brunner
Smith-Sammy/Q

Something like that. I see a clear first unit being used with our current group of guys. Give the rest to Fil and the rookies to shine.
Putting a Z/Dats/Mule line out is a mistake. Z/Dats works when one can be the line's primary shooter. Mule is ONLY effective if he is the primary shooter; otherwise he's pretty mediocre to bad.

The easy fix would be replacing Mule with Bert/Cleary (the "new" Homer). But then you have a second unit that is somewhat powerless up front, which was Babcock's problem last season due to his refusal to use Hudler; he had no offensive punch from his second-unit forwards. Which means you move Zetterberg. The second unit gets Flip and Z, and the third forward can be Bert/Cleary if you follow the same formula or you can use one of Sammy, Brunner, or Nyquist if you want more offensive presence. Sammy and Brunner would bring an eager shooting winger, Nyquist would provide a third multi-talented offensive forward which might bring some similar chemistry to what we saw with Flip/Z/Huds last season. On the second unit D I'd prefer not to see Sammy but realize he's probably going to be there; I would like to see Kindl and Smith given shots and I hope Quincey can replicate previous success in total numbers while playing on a lower unit.

Franzen-Datsyuk-Bertuzzi/Cleary-White-Kronwall

Filppula-Zetterberg-Nyquist/Brunner/Cleary/Bertuzzi/Samuelsson-Quincey/Samuelsson/Kindl-Smith/Quincey/Kindl

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote