View Single Post
Old
08-06-2012, 10:21 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
I don't think they would put the Devils in one. The NHL seems to be looking for big market/big fan bases, and NJ certainly isn't one. Same goes for the Islanders, although a Battle of NY could have some appeal for sure.
As far as overall ratings, NYR/NYI would be disasterous. Ratings for NYR/Philly weren't exceedingly high because the cities were so close that anyone not in the tri-state didn't have much interest. Now consider that you'd be making the target audience even smaller, the Islanders can't even fill their own building, and the fact that they're dramatically worse than the Rangers.

The math does not favor this from a business aspect, and to be completely honest, it's just as bad from a hockey standpoint as well. The Islanders blow hard and are not a worthy opponent for the Rangers. The "rivaly" is nothing more than a shadow of its former self, and it will remain that way until the Islanders get a new venue and turn their team around big time.

Boston would be the biggest draw. They may very well have the largest following of all American NHL clubs. I'm beginning to think that Boston vs NYR is going to happen rather than LA now that I think about it.

KingWantsCup is online now   Reply With Quote