Ideas for Future Studies
View Single Post
08-07-2012, 11:52 AM
Join Date: Mar 2011
I had an idea of a measure allocating points to a player for his team's wins/losses based on his time on ice.
These are two ways to allocate the points based on TOI:
- TOI pts share: TOI/60 × (2 if win, -2 if loss, 1 if goes to shootout)
- Exact TOI pts share: TOI/(Total team TOI) × (2/-2/1)
Example of TOI pts share with Sidney Crosby (2011-2012):
- Nov. 21 game = 0.53 = 15.9/60 × 2
- Nov. 23 game = -0.62 = 18.68/60 × -2
- Total TOI pts share = 3.13 = 0.53-0.62+...
- TOI pts share/game (×100) = 14.21
These are some issues with the measure:
- treatment of OT/shootout
- offensive players usually have lower TOI in wins than in losses
- doesn't consider magnitude of wins/losses (by how many goals). Could add a factor
- can't be quickly calculated. Could approximate with average TOI
I am not sure if this measure already exists or if it would give meaningful results.
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by r1234