View Single Post
Old
08-07-2012, 02:08 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Edmonton's youth core >> Montreal's youth core.

Yes, absolutely, I expect more improvement from Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Taylor Hall than from Max Pacioretty and Lars Eller.

Gionta and Markov are standard injuries. That's our 3rd best winger and 2nd best dman. If Price and Subban had been injured I'd be buying into the "next year when we have no injuries" mode of projections.
Doesn't mean we won't improve as well. You could also argue that the West is stronger, seems to be a recurring statement every year. Harder competition=harder to accomplish improvements.

RNH and Hall are likely to improve more than MaxPac and Eller. And Eberle is better than DD. Yakupov will likely play, doubtful for Gally. No question about this.
But PK is our superstar D, he should be better this year. Edmonton are banking on Schultz. Question mark about him.
Price should improve over last season as well, right? Edmonton have no one.
Emelin and Diaz are two other interesting and ready prospects that Edmonton do not have either.

So yes, Edmonton's forward group is more interesting, and are likely to improve more than ours. But the same can be said of our young defense versus theirs. We can also say the same about our goaltending.
Not to mention, our veteran group is far better than theirs.
Will our defensive improvements, as well as dominance in the goaltending positions and with our solid vets, compensate the difference between their offensive improvements over ours? I think so.

I don't think Edmonton will go anywhere again next year. They will have a strong start, but unless they change their defense and goaltending, they'll collapse again.