View Single Post
Old
08-07-2012, 08:52 PM
pld459666

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Boyle was playing great hockey down the stretch, there is no other way around it.

LAST 10 GP: 5G 2A 7 PTS while being over 50% on the draw in 8 of those games.

Boyle was quietly consistent for most of the season, it's just that he didn't dangle through players, beat other players up or didn't put up any notable goals, which led to people choosing him to be the scapegoat. He was used for 28.8% of his shifts starting in his offensive end and finished at 43.9% of shifts in offensive end. That's him being quietly effective as a 3rd line center. When you factor in his production as around 90th amongst centers in pts, that's on line with your average 3rd line center. Why does Brian Boyle get ice time in the last 5 minutes? You can't just roll out Richards/Stepan line for 2:50 each, they'll both be gassed. Boyle takes the defensive starts and eats up those tougher minutes for breakfast. And yes absolutely I'd rather have Boyle in his role, Richards and Stepan are good players, but Richards isn't as good defensively as he used to be and his point production took a hit, while Stepan hasn't proven himself more than a 2nd line center, I'd definitely rank him behind the Richards/Elias/Krejci/Kesler/etc 2nd line centers. While with Boyle, I take very few 3rd line centers over him.
But that is part of the problem.

Take away that amazing stretch (j/k) and he has 6 goals and 13 assists in 72 other
games.

Not sure how that is a good thing.