Thread: Confirmed Signing with Link: Jeff Skinner Extension 6 years AAV of $5.725M
View Single Post
Old
08-08-2012, 12:28 AM
Big Daddy Cane
#UndoNewStorm

vCash: 500
It's important to remember that Skinner had some issues with his dome this past season. While the number of points he actually put up and the number he was on-pace for aren't impressive, there is some context behind them. Up until the concussion, he was producing at a similar rate to the season before, IIRC. He was a different player after it and he didn't look the same until the World Championships in May. Assuming he can stay healthy, 60+ points doesn't seem like too much of an unreasonable expectation. There is potential for greater production, of course.

While I'm not excited about the $ amount, I am about the term. To be fair to JR, I guess you can't have that term without the money. So, overall, I like this deal more than I dislike it.

I understand the comments about the timing of the deal. At the same time, you have to think about how much he would potentially get over a similar term next summer after he bounces back and has the leverage that comes with a potential offersheet. It's better to be paying him $5.7 mil than $7+ mil.